Saturday, January 3, 2009

MY SELF-MADE YOUNGER BROTHER

(Vermont - Autumn Leaves)


Unfortunately, according to Dr. Alan Loy McGinnis, we humans tend to introduce ourselves by how much we have accomplished in life rather than who we really are.


I want to introduce to you my younger brother. This is to encourage everyone of us to try our best and make it successfully in life. My younger bro is a self-made man. He is a software engineer based in Florida; however he travels a lot. What is very interesting is that he has no formal computer education. All he did was read computer books and tinker with his PC. I hope the pictures I posted will encourage some of the graduates taking up Computer Studies to excel and be as equally successful as my brother.


He is our youngest brother among a brood of five. I come to know him ever since as somebody who really loves to read. I cannot call him the friendly type of guy but he keeps a small circle of acquaintances. He is dedicated to whatever he is working on and oftentimes becomes engross with what he is doing. He seldom smiles. He is too serious with life. I once thought he was autistic because he seemed to live in his own kind of world. But obviously he is not, for he turned out to be one of the brightest minds in the family.




He finished his elementary years way back in Dalaguete and pursued secondary education in the University of Santo Tomas. One of his greatest achievements in high school was landing in the Battle of the Brains Grand Finals in 1996. It was in high school when he discovered the electronic wired world of computers. In fourth year, he wrote a program that incorporated the coefficient of air drag or friction in the formula for solving equations for projectile motions. He pursued a bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science in Santo Tomas and continued his graduate studies in CISCO engineering at the same university. He passed the CISCO licensure examination several years ago. He was once connected part time with the UST College of Engineering. He also used to manage his own solutions provider company and internet café in Manila before he went to the US. He also tutored children and pre-schoolers on computer and the internet.


He was my first teacher in computer. From OS to programming, from the intricacies of the internet and the basics of computer elements, I learned from my brother. He is Giovanni, my very close friend and brother.











1 comment:

Gio said...

You played a big part in my success. From the enthralling "Transformer" booklet way back on my first grade, to the choose-your-own-adventure when I was barely able to read, to that black venerable medical dictionary which I occasionally finagled on my way to school and eventually made me "Best in Science", you introduced me to the wonderful world of reading and sustain my fascination to it. And when technical books are not enough to answer life's questions, you're always there to compensate their limitations. I may be your mentor on anything computers but needless to say that it all stops there. For everything else, the role is reversed. And with that, I couldn't thank you enough.

Vani