Friday, January 2, 2009

ANOTHER LETTER TO MY STUDENT

I wrote this letter to my former student who is now my very close friend. He considers me his role model, his mentor-his father. Because our age difference is not that much, I consider him my younger brother.

December 28

Do,

See! You are now honorable and I think, you more than deserve the honor. Besides being honorable, to me however you are still the ever-trusted friend. What the card says is what I consider you to be to me.

Before, I was your teacher; today I am your barkada. You have changed a lot and everything is for good. I knew then that you can be and that you are good. But what you are now goes beyond my expectations for you. You are in every move and in every word, a true gentleman. You are one of the best! I knew that I have been a part of what you are now. Although I have told you before that your parents deserve much of the credit. I am very proud to see you mature into one of the best friends I have. Because you were once my student, I knew that I was not a failure as a teacher then. I did not ever see each one of you becoming geniuses. All I ever wanted is for each one of you to become what God wants you to be. Because you are smart, you have realized that He wanted you to be good, lead a good life and be His good son. Whew! I cannot say anything more. I know that all these praises will not get into your head. You are one of the most level-headed friends that I know.

As I take a look at you now, you damn dress much better than I do! I really do appreciate the way you dress. You dress appropriately. Never have I seen you coming back home from the city ruggedly or much worse shabbily attired. You have remembered what I told you that the clothes do indeed make a man. The way you dress sets you apart from the boys. You are not a boy because you are now a man, a fine-looking gentleman at that.

Listen to the way you talk and I will tell you that you are very respectful. You choose your words. What comes out of your mouth speaks of not only intellect but good manners. You will not change, I know because you are my friend.

For all these good things I have seen in you now, I know you have imperfections still. Tawo ka ra man therefore you have shortcomings too. You have problems too. You pained too. Never mind. These things will remind you of Him.

YOU HAVE NEVER LET ME DOWN, AND I KNOW YOU NEVER WILL…

I remain.
Your good friend,
Sir Carlo

No comments: