Friday, June 20, 2008

ELECTRONIC GROUP SITES

e-SITE AND HOW IT AFFECTS LEARNING

I am a part time faculty member in our local community college, the University of the Visayas. One of the courses I am handling is Educational Technology I. Because of the very nature of the course, I required my students to sign up to an electronic group site that I prepared for them. I got mixed feelings afterwards.

What is the benefit of being a member to a group site? There are I think four, namely:

  1. Increased learning by the student to the mastery level - Being the site moderator, I can fully upload files that I think will help my students better understand the course. Learning, therefore, is not limited only to what is in the textbook but rather, additional reading materials are readily available to the students should they wish to read some more. Students can even upload their own readings promoting sharing and cooperation among them.

  2. Increased teaching efficiency without additional cost - Because of the nature of the Web, pictures, graphs, tables, presentations and even videos that complement topics discussed inside the classroom can be made freely available to all site members. Long distance teaching and teleconferencing can even be made possible if in case the teacher will not be physically available inside the classroom.

  3. Decreased time taken for the students to obtain desired learning objectives - Obviously because the site takes into consideration the multiple intelligence and the learning style of the students, knowledge acquisition among them will be shorter. Students learn at their own pace; thus, making learning more efficient as compared if when the teacher dictates the pace of learning.

  4. Reduced educational cost without affecting educational quality - Students may just log inside the site to read rather than photocopy all the notes made by the teacher. Course requirements may just also be uploaded to save money from printing all those encoded projects.

No comments: